From   Mount   Romilly   Carnegie   headed   toward   the   distinct   headlands   to   the   north,   two   of   which   he   called the   twins.         These   headlands   and   tablelands   made   up   the   north-western   end   of   the   Southesk   Tablelands, which   Carnegie   named   after   his   father,   the   Earl   of   Southesk.      Here   Carnegie   and   Godfrey   Massie   went   in search   of   water   and   came   across   a   pool   in   a   gorge   that   was   named   Godfrey's   Tank.      Joe   Breaden   had also   found   a   pool   nearby   at   the   head   of   a   valley.     This   pool   was   easier   for   the   camels   to   reach   so   they   set up   camp   there   the   next   day,   20   October   1896.      The   pool   was   named   Breaden   Pool   and   the   valley Breaden Valley. John,   Alan   and   Howard   at   Mount   Romilly   had   decided   that   as   the   remainder   of   Carnegie's   route   they were   to   follow,   was   easily   accessible   by   4WD,   they   would   load   the   bike   on   the   back   of   the   4WD.      This they   did   and   departed   Mount   Romilly   for   the   hills   on   3   May   2003.      The   hills   were   less   than   25   kilometres away   so   it   wasn't   too   long   before   they   arrived   there   for   a   bit   of   exploring.      On   the   way   they   passed   a   wild dog,   which   was   kind   enough   to   get   off   the   track   to   allow   them   to   pass.      To   get   to   Godfreys   Tank   you   have to drive up the Breaden Valley as far as you can. From   there,   small   cairns   of   stones   were   found   every   so   often,   indicating   a   walking   trail,   which   took about   fifteen   minutes   to   complete.      Godfreys   Tank   is   a   huge   hole   cut   into   a   gorge.      There   was   a little   water   in   it,   which   didn't   look   too   attractive.      No   one   attempted   to   actually   go   down   to   the water   as   it   was   quite   a   scramble   down, and   everyone   was   a   little   weary.      They then   headed   back   along   the   trail.      It was    mentioned    that    not    much    was known   about   the   country   to   the   east   of here.            A    nice    view    of    the    Breaden Valley is obtained along this trail. As     Carnegie's     group     was moving    to    Breaden    Pool    he describes   the   area   in   his   book, “at   the   mouth   of   the   valley,   on   the   south   side,   are   three   very   noticeable   points,   the   centre one   being   conical   with   a   chimney-like   block   on   one   side,   and   flanking   it   on   either   hand table-topped   hills.”      The   pictures   here   compare   Carnegie's   sketch   of   his   description   and a photo taken by the current group. The    group    made    their    way    to    Breaden Pool   [Lat   20   14.835S,   Long   126   34.095E] which     was     at     the     extreme     head     of Breaden   Valley.         There   was   a   good   deal of   water   there.      It   was   easy   to   see   why   Carnegie   watered   his   camels   here,   as   opposed   to Godfreys Tank, as the animals can walk right up to it. Carnegie,   after   leaving   Breaden   Pool,   skirted   the   headlands   to   the   north,   passing   Twin   Heads [Lat   20   13.346S,   Long   126   32   101E].      They   headed   to   and   reached   a   high   hill   to   the   north which   Carnegie   called   Mount   Ernest   [Lat   20   09.899S,   Long   126   33.829E].      The   group   did   the same, stopping to admire Twin Heads (picture below) on the way. Whilst    John    and    Howard    retrieved some    water    and    food    from    the    back    of    the 4WD, Alan   climbed   to   the   top   of   Mount   Ernest.     An   excellent   view   was   obtained   from   the   top.     To   the   south   were   the   Southesk   Tablelands, with   Twin   Heads   at   the   western   extremity   (to the right of the picture). Also     seen     from     Mount Ernest   were   the   Catspaw Hills   (pictured   below   left).     They          were          named Catspaw   Hills   in   1959   after   a   geological   survey   in   the   area   in   1955.      They   were described as “five small hills so grouped as to resemble the pads of a cat's paw”. Carnegie   from   here   headed   to   the   north-east   to   some   high   ground   he   saw.      He   then   went   on   to   continue   his   expedition,   discovering   more mountains, ranges and rockholes until he arrived at Halls Creek on 4 December 1896. The   present   group   had   finally   run   out   of   time   and,   although   they   had   planned   to   retrace   the   whole   of   Carnegie's   route,   were   unable   to   do   so, due   to   other   commitments   back   in   Perth.      They   left   Mount   Ernest   and   the   Southesk   Tablelands   and   headed   up   the   Canning   Stock   Route   to arrive at Wolfe Creek Crater where they camped for the night. The   next   morning   they   headed   towards   Halls   Creek   arriving   just   before   lunchtime.     After   having   a   rest and   some   food   they   made   their   way   to   Old   Halls   Creek   through   the   ranges   to   see   where   Carnegie ended his expedition.  A plaque was found celebrating his expedition. So   the   time   had   come.         The   David   Carnegie   Retracing   Expedition   was   over.      On   the   4   May   2003 after   weeks   of   travelling   through   some   of   the   most   remote   areas   in   Australia   the   group   could   finally rest   easy   knowing   that   they   were   in   no   danger   of being   lost,   stranded,   out   of   fuel,   or   out   of   water, as   they   were   back   in   civilisation.     All   in   the   group could     see     more     clearly     what     challenging conditions Carnegie and his men had to endure in their journey. For   John,   Howard   and   Alan   the   experience   had   been   exhilarating   even   if,   at   times, rather   tiring.      Their   timetable   was   far   too   tight.      The   isolation   far   out   in   the   Gibson   Desert had   the   makings   of   an   adventure   for   three   suburbanites   although   at   no   time   were   they   in any   danger   or   distress.         To   travel   for   six   days   at   one   stage   without   sighting   any   other persons   indicates   something   of   the   emptiness   of   the   area.      Progress   in   the   4WD   was slow   at   times   as   the   tracks   are   not   maintained   in   any   way   other   than   by   the   occasional vehicle   passing   through.      The   way   ahead   is   always   passable   with   patience.      Although water   is   always   welcome   it   is   water   that   could   bar   the   way   ahead   more   than   any   other reason.  For John and Howard in the 4WD, to drive the sandy track of the Canning Stock Route after the Gary Highway was quite pleasant and much easier going. The   quad   bike   used   by   Alan   proved   a   good   choice   for   the   extensive   offroad   travel required.      To   ride   the   bike   through   the   three   deserts   required   constant   concentration   by Alan   though   it   seemed   almost   nothing   could   stop   it.     Perhaps   its   only   drawback   was   the   relatively   short   range   it   had   with   all   the   necessary   equipment   on   board.      It   could   only   ever   be   a reconnaissance vehicle out in the outback. The   participants   found   great   satisfaction   in   retracing   the   route   of   one   of Australia’s   explorers   and   in   locating   a   number   of   sites   mentioned   in the old records.  Perhaps Warri Well will be found one day.  Maybe, one day, our trio will have to do it!
End of the Journey